|Wing / Group:
||Hamilton AFB, CA
Castle AFB, CA
||30 Sept 1968 - 29 Aug 1973
30 Aug 1973 - 30 June 1981
|No. of Aircraft:
|No. of Loses:
The 84th FIS was at two different locations: Hamilton AFB CA from 30 Sept 1968 to 29 Aug 1973, and Castle AFB CA 30 Aug 1973 until deactivation 30 June 1981.
The 84th FIS was transferred from USAFE to ADC in June 1947 at Mitchell Field without personnel or equipment. In November 1948 it was transferred to Hamilton AFB and equipped with F-51Ds but began a transition into
F-84Bs the following month. In the fall of 1950 it received F-84Ds and in early 1951, F-89As. Transitions into F-89Bs and F-86Fs were accomplished in the summer of 1951 and fall of 1952, respectively. In 1953 the squadron
received F-94Bs and Cs but in 1955 these were replaced by F-89Ds. The F-89Ds were replaced by F-89Hs in 1956 and these, in turn, by F-89Js in 1957. In March of 1959 the squadron transitioned into F-101Bs. On 30 Sep 1968 the
498th FIS moved from Paine Field, WA with it's F-106's to Hamilton AFB CA, and was redesignated 84th FIS. In September 1973 the 84th moved to Castle AFB, and in June 1981 was redesignated 84th Fighter Interceptor Training
Squadron operating T-33A Shooting Stars. All the F-106's were transferred to other units.
F-106s were assigned to the 84th FIS at Hamilton AFB CA from 30 Sept 1968 to 29 Aug 1973, when the 84th FIS then moved to Castle AFB CA and remained there until deactivation 30 June 1981.