|Wing / Group:
||Wurtsmith AFB, MI
||1 Jul 1971 - 8 Mar 1973
|No. of Aircraft:
|No. of Loses:
In June 1947 the 2d FIS was transferred from USAFE to ADC. In August 1959 the unit transitioned into F-101Bs which it kept until inactivation in December of 1969. The 2d FIS was reactivated in July
1971 at Wurtsmith AFB, flying the 94th FIS F-l06As when that unit designation was transferred to TAC. The 2d FIS was inactivated at Wurtsmith on 31 March 1973 as part of the draw-down of the Aerospace Defense
Command jet interceptor force and ended the ADC presence at Wurtsmith.
In August 1974, the squadron was reactivated and designated the 2d Fighter Interceptor Training Squadron and was activated at the Air Defense Weapons Center located at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, where it
continued to fly the F-106.
On 1 February 1982, the unit was redesignated the 2d Fighter Weapons Squadron, and it had the privilege of training the last active duty F-106 pilots. In May 1984 the squadron was re-designated as the 2d
Tactical Fighter Training Squadron and transitioned to the F-15 Eagle.