Visitors [View Stats]

87th Fighter Interceptor Squadron

'Red Bulls'

Duluth AP, MN  /  K.I. Sawer AFB, MI
23 Air Division (AD)
Links:
87th FIS
  Keflavik Iceland Deployment April 1978
56-0454 (A) 29 Sep 78 - 18 Apr 85
56-0457 (A) 15 Aug 83 - 16 Apr 85
56-0463 (A) 04 Aug 83 - 11 Oct 84
56-0466 (A) 02 Jun 83 - 10 Jun 85
57-0230 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 01 Feb 85
57-0231 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 28 May 81
57-0235 (A) 30 Nov 72 - 11 Jul 85
57-0236 (A) 04 Oct 83 - 03 Jun 85
57-0241 (A) 09 Apr 82 - 08 Aug 85
57-2547 (B) 17 May 76 - 19 Feb 77
58-0772 (A) 21 Jul 78 - 03 Sep 85
59-0032 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 13 May 85
59-0035 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 25 Jul 85
59-0051 (A) 18 Jul 70 - 22 Aug 85
59-0053 (A) 06 Sep 74 - 10 Aug 83
59-0066 (A) 19 May 81 - 04 Sep 85
59-0072 (A) 10 Oct 84 - 18 Jul 85
59-0085 (A) 02 Dec 81 - 08 Aug 83
59-0086 (A) 04 May 72 - 04 Sep 85
59-0088 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 05 Oct 72
59-0089 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 26 Nov 72
59-0090 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 15 Jan 85
59-0091 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 31 May 83
59-0092 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 29 Mar 72
59-0093 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 02 Jul 76
59-0094 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 16 Apr 85
59-0095 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 21 May 85
59-0096 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 10 Mar 83
59-0097 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 17 Jan 85
59-0099 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 03 Jan 84
59-0100 (A) 30 Sep 68 - 16 Apr 76
59-0101 (A) 30 Sep 68 to 14 Oct 71
                    15 Nov 71 to 18 Jul 79
59-0102 (A) 30 Sep 68 to 16 Apr 85
59-0152 (B) 17 Oct 83 to 06 May 85
59-0153 (B) 24 Jul 78 to ?? Jan 84
59-0155 (B) 30 Sep 68 to 29 Aug 77
59-0160 (B) 30 Sep 68 to 12 Jun 74

The 87th FIS was at two different locations: Duluth IAP MN from 30 Sept 68 to 01 May 71, and K.I. Sawyer AFB MI from 01 May 71 to 01 Oct 85 as part of the 24th Air Division. The 87th FIS was activated in November 1952 at Sioux City Airport.  It replaced the Indiana ANG's 163rd FIS with F-51D aircraft. In the fall of 1953 it transitioned into F-86Ds and in December 1954 the unit transferred to USAFE.  The squadron was transferred back to ADC at Lockbourne AFB in April 1956, again with F-86Ds and subsequently F-86Ls a year later in 1957.  The squadron transitioned into F-102As in late 1958 and in June 1960 the F-102s were exchanged for F-101Bs.  In July 1968 the 87th was deactivated at Lockbourne, however, in September 1968 the 11th FIS at Duluth AP with F-106As was deactivated and re-designated the 87th FIS.  In May 1971 the 87th FIS moved from Duluth AP to K.I. Sawyer AFB, MI where it remained until deactivation on 1 Oct 1985.

The 87th Red Bulls deployed to Keflavik Iceland in April 1978 to assisted the 57th with Alert Duties as that unit transitioned from F-4Cs to F-4Es.

Squadron Commanders:  71-Col Kees, 72-Col Johnson, 72-74 Col Wortring, 75-76 Col John Perkins, 76-78 Col Harris, 78-Col Smith, 79-80 Col House, 82 Col Blair, 82-83 Col Furhman.

F-106s were assigned to the 87th FIS at Duluth IAP MN from 30 Sept 68 to 01 May 71 and to the 87th FIS KI Sawyer AFB MI from 01 May 71 till 01 Oct 85 deactivation. A total of 37 aircraft were assigned with 5 losses and 1 write-off.

In 1954 the government entered into negotiations with Marquette County for Sawyer's lease. After several months of meetings and negotiations a 99 year lease was signed on January 24, 1955. Construction started almost immediately.  Approximately 850 people were employed during the construction and several local contractors were involved.

On January 24, 1956 Lt/Col Robert L. Blocklehurst became the first commander of Kl Sawyer AFB. The runway was completed in 1957 and in 1958 25 F-102 Aircraft were sent TDY from Kinross AFB at Sault St. Marie to operate out of Sawyer for several months, while the runways at Kinchelo were being repaired and extended.  The 62nd F1S from O'Hare airport Chicago was transferred to Sawyer and became an operational F-101 "Voodoo" squadron in 1959 after the runways at Sawyer were extended to 12,300 feet.

The Strategic Air Command became operational as a tenant unit with the assignment of a KC-135 Air Refueling Squadron first the 923 ARS and soon replaced by the 46th Air Refueling Squadron. The first B-52H arrived at Sawyer in August 1961 along with the 410 Bomb Wing.  The Sault St. Marie Air Defense Sector (SAGE) continued in operation until September 1963 and in January 1964 control of the base was passed from the Air Defense Command to the Strategic Air Command leaving the 410 Bomb Wing as the host unit to date.

The F-101 equipped 62 Fighter Interceptor Squadron remained at Sawyer as a tenant unit until April 1971 when it was deactivated and replaced by the 87th Fighter Interceptor Squadron and its F-106 Delta Dart Aircraft were transferred from Duluth Municipal Airport Minnesota. The 87th F1S was deactivated and the F-106 aircraft left in 1985.

Other aircraft assigned to Sawyer over the years included H-43B and HH-1H rescue helicopters leaving in 1977. FB-111 aircraft assigned to Pease AFB New Hampshire were on satellite alert at Sawyer in 1974 and 1975. The last aircraft assigned to Sawyer were six T-37 jet trainers of the 71 FTW assigned to "Accelerated Copilot Enrichment Program" in 1977 and are presently assigned to the "Companion Trainer Program" under the 410 BW and the Air Combat Command.
 




Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com

Google Config