Home / Static Display Survivors / 580774 (A) Hill AFB UT [45]

F-106A 58-0774
Hill Aerospace Museum, Hill AFB, UT
F-106A 58-0774 was rolled out for display in the Hill AFB Museum in June 2004. Restoration was done by the 419th Fighter Wing's Combat Logistics Support Squadron (Reserve CLSS unit) at Hill AFB UT. Financial assistance for the repainting was provided by former members of the 456th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron and is painted to closely resemble its appearance while flying with them in the early markings of the 456th FIS, Castle AFB, Atwater CA. History of 58-0774: F-106A-100-CO, S/N 58-0774, was manufactured in September 1959 and delivered to the U.S. Air Force. It was the 133rd F-106 produced. On September 28, 1959 the aircraft was assigned to the 456th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron of Air Defense Command (ADC), Castle AFB, CA. In February 1961 it was transferred to the 71st FIS of the 1st Fighter Wing (ADC) at Selfridge AFB, MI. It was transferred in January 1967 to the 328th Fighter Wing (ADC) at Richards-Gebaur AFB, MO and then in June 1968 went to the 71st FIS (ADC) at Malmstrom AFB, MT. It was flown to Osan AB, Korea, in November 1968 and in April 1969 was transferred to the 94th FIS (ADC) at Osan. It was sent back to Selfridge AFB and to Wurtsmith AFB, MI, in November and December of that year. In July 1971 it was assigned to the 2nd FIS (ADC) at Wurtsmith AFB. It was transferred to the Air National Guard (ANG) in March 1973 and assigned to the 191st Fighter-Interceptor Group at Selfridge AFB. In May 1974 it went to the 144th FIG (ANG) at Fresno Air Terminal in CA (It was the first F-106 to arrive at that station). While with that organization it was deployed to Jacksonville, FL. The aircraft was retired to the Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center (AMARC) at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona, on January 19, 1984. Beginning in May 1991 it was converted to QF-106 target drone configuration by AEL, Inc., in East Alton, Illinois. That October the plane was flown to Tyndall AFB, Florida, and became drone AD146. It was never shot down and was consequently returned to AMARC in March 1998 as one of the last six flying Delta Darts. It was acquired by Hill Aerospace Museum in March 2002 and restored by the Combat Logistics Support Squadron of the 419th Fighter Wing at Hill for static exhibit at the museum.