|Wing / Group:|
|Air Division:||24th Air Division|
|Location(s):||Grand Forks AFB, ND
Oxnard AFB, CA
Kingsley Field, OR
|Dates Active:||06 Apr 1971 - 15 Jul 1974
01 Dec 1969 - 16 Apr 1971
30 Sep 1968 - 01 Dec 1969
|No. of Aircraft:||44|
|No. of Loses:||1|
The 460th FIS was at three locations: Oxnard AFB CA 30 Sep 68-01 Dec 69, Kingsley Field OR and Grand Forks AFB ND 16 Apr 71-15 Jul 74.
The 460th FIS was activated in March 1954 at McGhee Tyson Airport with F-86Ds. In August 1955 the unit designation was transferred to an F-89D squadron at Portland Airport. The squadron transitioned into F-102As in May 1958 and was deactivated in March 1966. In September 1968 the squadron was reactivated at Oxnard AFB with F-106's from the 437th FIS, which had just been deactivated, keeping the same tail flash colors as the 437th FIS, which had been carried over to them from the 456th FIS. The squadron moved to Kingsley Field in November 1969 and then to Grand Forks AFB in April 1971. During its time at Grand Forks AFB the originally assigned F-106s were sent to the 186th FIS at Great Falls MT ANG in April 1972 and were replaced with the F-106s from the discontinued 319th FIS from Malmstrom AFB MT.
The 460th FIS was deactivated on 15 Jul 1974 with the majority of the F-106s reassigned to the 194th FIS Fresno CA ANG.