|Wing / Group:|
|Air Division:||26 Air Division|
|Location(s):||Castle AFB, Atwater CA|
|Dates Active:||6 Sep 1959 - 09 July 1968|
|No. of Aircraft:||67|
|No. of Loses:||2|
The 456th FIS was activated at George AFB, CA in August 1954 with F-86D's. In August 1955 the unit was deactivated only to be reactivated again at Castle AFB in October 1955 with F-86Ds. In the fall of 1957 the unit
transitioned into F-86Ls and in June 1958 into F-102As. In September 1959 it received F-106A's. The squadron along with its distinctive tail flash color markings moved to Oxnard AFB on 18 July 1968 and was
re-designated the 437th FIS.
Visit the 456th FIS website at for a complete history of the unit and it's aircraft.